Friday, November 6, 2009

Hurricanes, volcanoes, and sharks, oh my!

So, the moment we've been waiting for has arrived. At 9 PM last night, the volcano erupted. Before you start to panic, let me assure you that I live nowhere near said volcano, and that the lava will not attack our little bungalow and smother it into burning bits. It's just exciting to think that somewhere on this island something really exciting is happening, and that at least we are nearby. However we haven't noticed smoke, or ash, since today it was raining, off and on, pretty hard.

Which is apparently unusual for November. Rain like that sometimes means that a hurricane might hit soon. Our neighbor Olivier was over again, and as we talked to him about "cyclones" he eyed our bungalow with and expression that made me really nervous. Decidedly we'll end up next door with the girls who have an actual apartment, if anything serious ever happens. I don't think our little plywood shack is up for a good storm. But rest assured, it sounds like most likely nothing serious will happen at all.

I think I'm really enjoying today's weather, admittedly. I still miss the rain from time to time, those cozy days where you can curl up with a book, and some hot tea. My brain keeps telling me that it's time for cold weather, rain, and maybe snow, but my body begs a differ, as we still manage to sweat through all of the rain, with a humidity I've never come across in my life. I think the worst part is knowing, that summer is just around the corner. It's coming, all the locals grimace, and then laugh at me knowingly, as I stand there with this terrified look on my face. Sure, I like it warm, but just how warm are we talking? And for how long? Not to mention all of these terrible rumors that there's no point in going to the beach during the summer, because the water is as hot as the air. You won't feel better at all. "Just look out for the sharks, they love it in the evening when the water is murky." Hmm, this paradise seems to have a little bite in it after all. I'll just appreciate my one relatively cool rainy day, and wait with impatience for Christmas in Switzerland. There are worse things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment