Thursday, February 4, 2010

American culture is always around the corner

One of the most frustrating parts of my job is somewhat ironic: How can I share my culture with kids who already see it broadcasted on their tvs, know all the lines from the movies....Some of these Creole teenagers know more about these American actors than I do. Its like those women who tell me how thoughtful they think Obama's autobiography is....ok, that was in Italy, but you get the point.

Today was just an example of how there are still a lot of holes in their knowledge of the American culture. Sometimes I forget that they are further from California than I realize, and even though they may be Twilight addicts, they still don't know everything about prom. I explained that it was a dance, you usually go with dates, girls wear corsages, sometimes we go to the ball in a limo....It's almost as if they have a fuzzy vision of America, but all of the deep meanings behind our traditions and cultures are still somewhat hidden. Not that prom is a good example of deep, meaningful, American tradition. Still, I'm sure they have no idea why we celebrate Thanksgiving...I'm not sure if we do, either, to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment