Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The bill battle and Women's Day

I often wonder what it was like to be a woman in the past, even a few generations ago. We've advanced so much in modern days to try to make gender equality a reality. In America everyone seems to be so proud of how much power women have now, in the working world, and just about everywhere outside of the house. Although I'm proud of how much freedom I have as a woman, especially in America, I can't help but get confused at times over little things like paying the bill at a restaurant. It's true that back home I know that all of my guy friends are virtually broke and I always pay my way when we go out. But it's funny how much discussion has been brought up by this sore subject in Russia. "Men always should pay for a bill," stated my Russian girlfriends, "it's their job!" But I couldn't help but laugh in pity for my British and American guy friends who bemoaned their new task. "I don't want to pay for her, it's too expensive as it is in Moscow!!!!" And it's true, Moscow is REALLY expensive, especially if you want to have a nice dinner in the city center.

Coming from a girl who has always been raised to be independent and self-sufficient, it's no surprise that I'm somewhat shocked at times by the somewhat "old-fashioned" gender roles you see around Moscow. boyfriends can be very affectionate towards their loved ones, helping them over patches of ice, tying their ice skates for them, holding them close for warmth. It's no surprise that in Moscow "Women's day" is a huge hit.

It lands on the 8th of March, for International Women's day, which is conveniently a few days after the celebration of spring. Everywhere you walked that day you saw people dressed up in their best, and men waiting impatiently at every metro station with flowers in their hands. Even I got gifts from my students, and my housemate's flowers filled up our kitchen. As nice as it was, I couldn't help but wonder, what is the purpose of this day? Does it truly advance women in any way, or is it just a chance for men to "have an excuse to express their love to women," as my friend explained to me. I suppose it can't be a bad idea at least. I'll still pay for my half of the bill anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment