Thursday, September 24, 2009

The start of an official and hopefully exciting travel blog


Hi Everyone! As promised, here is my travel blog, hopefully to be continued and updated every once in a while. Although I must warn you in advance that this blog may get repetitive as time goes on and I am still on the same island, doing the same job from day to day, just like anyone else. Anyways, here's my first entry!

To get you up to date on all my adventures, I left California a few days ago and rushed to Milan to pick up my things. Sadly I didn't have time to say goodbye to everyone, but I know I will see the Marelli family again, and have more wonderful nanny adventures. I then rushed to Zurich to meet up with my friends, the PiRats for one last hurrah before I left. A goodbye was definitely in order, after a great summer of meeting up and having good fun. Somehow I also managed to squeeze in a few days in Nancy, France, where I had studied for a year, and saw my old French host family (that's a photo of my host dad and me, before you get really confused) and a few friends. It was a bittersweet trip to end my summer in Europe, as I had flashbacks of all my great memories there, as Katka and I walked by the park, the square, and the university. Figures I got in trouble with my host parents for only staying 2 days! They sound like my real parents...Next time, I promised to stay for at least a week!


So here I am, I finally made it to Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris, and now I'm on my way to "La Reunion" (pronounced ray-you-yohn with your best French accent). After a good 6 months of sweat and tears (no blood was shed, on my part or on the part of the French government, although it was tempting...) I am finally ready to go, with my visa and one huge suitcase and a good size backpack (I finally downsized my luggage...). The lady at the check in line looked at me a little strangely when she saw my American passport, as Reunion is not a popular US vacation spot, but she checked me in and told me, "You know you have a weight allowance of up to 40 kilos?" What she didn't know was that I had been lugging that stuff around for the past several days in 3 different countries, and that one more kilo probably would have broken my back or something.

So I am sitting in good ol' Mac Do, using their free internet. I don't really know what to expect when I get there, but hopefully I will be met at the airport, and given a ride to my new home. More updates after my 11 hour flight! Goodbye Europe, hope to see you again soon!!!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura !
    It's your turn, prononcez "it's your teurne", to see another peace of our amazing world.
    Hope you will enjoy this wonderful island (you like Island with palm trees, don't you ?) and glad that you will teach french. No doubt, you will be perfect...
    See you and be careful, the Reunion doggy birds shout before eruption... ;-D
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Thierry, glad to hear it from a wise traveller himself. Hope Corsica is treating you well!! Don't worry, I'm sure the doggy birds here aren't as fierce as the ones chez toi!!

    ReplyDelete