Saturday, December 26, 2009

Back to traveling, a favorite pasttime

There is something crazy about traveling halfway across the world in 11 hours.
It’s still amazing to think of how easy it is to get from one place to another.
In 11 hours, one can go from laying on the beach in the Indian Ocean to playing
in the snow in the Swiss Alps. Well, almost. Ironically it takes just as long to
get from Paris to Sankt Moritz as it does to get from Reunion to France.

Getting off the plane, I realized how funny it must be for people from the
island to go to Paris for Christmas. I almost laughed at how bundled up they
were, and how they cringed at the first bit of wind that hit them on the way
out of the plane. You would think we were in the Antarctic or something. I
think I understand better how it must feel, to look at all the somber serious
faces of all the Parisians, all pale like ghosts in their uniformly black
coats. They may be chic, but they lack a bit of well…color. For me, I couldn’t
help but smile as I rode the Metro, and by the time I found my friends, I felt
so happy to be back in Metropole! There’s that comfy feeling of knowing how to
get around, where to find the train station, what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment