Thursday, December 3, 2009

End of an old chapter, beginning of a new one

I can't believe that my "sejour" on Reunion Island is already a third of the way over! It seems like yesterday that Carrie and I were discovering the beach for the first time, or eating our first dinner in our cozy little bungalow....

And yet so much has happened. Yesterday I finished my two months at Raymond Verges school. I never thought the students would be so sad to see me go, but I went out with a bang, with 120 chocolate chip cookies. The presents were very thoughtful and unexpected, and the cards were the best. The youngest students wrote me a song, and others signed homemade cards in French, writing me little notes that were really meaningful, as if they had put their whole teenage hearts into the effort. I was rather surprised by how sentimental the whole affair was, and I turned pretty sentimental myself, sad to say goodbye to the 250 faces that said "hello!" to me everyday as I walked by. With a last little wave, I walked away, with a promise to come back and visit from time to time. I'm glad to see that I made an impression. Maybe someday they will become brilliant English speakers, traveling the world, doing amazing things. I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment