Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Beautiful Moscow

So I know I'm a little biased since I'm snow obsessed, but I really do believe, more than anything else, snow makes things look BEAUTIFUL. It's this magical property, that really has nothing to do with the science of it all. I was wondering how I felt about Moscow this weekend, when it happened. It started snowing. And not just a simple light trickle from the sky, but full out, huge flakes, falling down fast, without a sound.

Luckily I was in the Red Square to witness this glorious snow. The church bells were chiming 5 in the evening, time for mass. You could hear the choir singing, the priest chanting. I went in for a moment, just to appreciate the sounds from a bench just by the door. As I continued on, the music started changing. All of the sudden I was by the ice skating rink, set up just for the holidays next to GUM, the sparkly elegant mall across from the Kremlin. As it continued to snow, people were ice skating to Russian pop music, which is so cheesy it sometimes makes me laugh. And then there I was, in front of Lenin's tomb, the Kremlin, St Basil's Cathedral, watching it snow. GOrGEOUS. Moscow's a pretty cool place after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment