Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ice Skating


When I first signed up to teach in Russia, I secretly thought of how wonderful it would be to have a white Christmas. After all, for Christmas back in California, we often just wake up, open presents, eat breakfast, and then go for a nice hike on a sunny, cool day. Snow is just something you see on tv, or if you get enough energy to drive the 3 hours to Lake Tahoe to go skiing. But to have a snowy Christmas, that's special.

There are a few things I hadn't thought of when I made the assumption that I would be having a white Christmas in Russia. First of all, sometimes the temperature does rise just above freezing point, which will not make all the snow disappear, but it also means that if it rains, you have horrible slush and ice everywhere. Secondly, Russians don't celebrate Christmas on the 25th. If they celebrate Christmas at all (which many don't), it's on the 7th of January, after the huge festivities for New Year's. Oops.

Nevertheless, where there's a will, there's a way. Rounding up friends who were willing to wake up before noon on Christmas morning was somewhat of a challenge, but in the end, success was mine. Valentina and I headed out, later joined by Casey, to do what I had been dying to do even before I got to Moscow: ICE SKATING. And not just regular, indoor rink type ice skating, oh no. Real, outdoor, in the park ice skating.

Ice skating is one of those precious things that make Moscow special. What usually are summer amusement parks in June magically become transformed into skating parks, where all of the pathways are icy surfaces. Instead of just skating in circles, you can skate around the park, going wherever you like. As you take a skate in the park, music plays, and at night there are Christmas lights all around. It's mostly very pretty with plenty of trees and snow all around, although somewhat strange to see carousels, and park rides that are abandoned, not really in use until summertime.

It's somewhat of a challenge for a beginner like me, since there are no railings to cling to, nor is the ice groomed very often....but fortunately that's what friends are for. As Val and I skated around, we held hands, tripping over the massively uneven surfaces, struggling not to fall over. Casey struggled behind us, although she seemed to be having more success at looking a little more graceful. I was surprised that these two Russian girls weren't pros at this national sport. I asked them both, "When's the last time you went ice skating?" Val replied, "4 months ago, in Florida," and Casey thought about it, then said, "A year ago, I think. What about you Laura?" I laughed, because I knew I had them both beat. I went ice skating last month! Sadly you wouldn't know it from the way I was skating....

And of course, there are so many pro skaters, who just zip by you as you waddle along. But if you're going to be in Moscow in the winter time, I can't think of a better way to pass the time, so long as it doesn't rain!

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment