Friday, December 10, 2010

Fashion in Moscow

Everyday I walk out of my door, I’m wearing my one coat, and my one pair of boots. I smile at the simplicity of it all, I almost don’t even think of what I’m putting on underneath so long as I’m wearing something. But inevitably I’m always passed up on the sidewalk as I dawdle by someone, and about half of the time that person is followed by a persistent clickety clack of, dare I say it? High HEELS. If your eyes just got big at the thought of someone wearing high heels in ice and snow and grit, then you know just how I feel every time I see a “muscovite” of the feminine persuasion. It’s almost as if they defy physics, although it is amusing to see them carefully toe their way down slippery steps, which could trip up the average person in boots. Oh, and these are always topped off by a luxurious fur coat (needless to say that most animal right activists against fur would probably faint if they ever went to Moscow in winter).

I think what amazes me the most is how they have this almost mystical immunity to feeling cold. A lot of these top notch women don’t feel the need to wear a hat or scarf, which I’m assuming is because it detracts from the overall outfit. As goofy as I look in my hat, I couldn’t imagine a day without it here, especially when it’s already dropped below 28 degrees Celsius. Fortunately I’m not completely alone, there seems to be a younger generation that has although still stylish, at least a more practical outlook on what to wear. To explain how many different fashions, hair styles, or hats I’ve seen on the street would take weeks, and I’m too fashion stupid to really say. I’m not abandoning my hat at any rate, for the sake of my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment