Thursday, December 2, 2010

Round two - Moscow



So for those of you who haven't talked to me in a while, it's time for a new adventure overseas. After a lovely summer in Europe, it was time to run back home in California for a while, to spend some time with my family, recharge the batteries, and of course the inevitable, look for a job. Which I found - the perfect change, something to contrast my last year on a tropical island, surfing - somewhere with a different climate, attitude, language. A completely new experience.

I decided to go to Moscow, Russia for the following reasons:
A – It’s a new country that I have never been to, and if I add it to my “Where I’ve been” map, it will look like I’ve seen the whole world.
B- Russian is a new language with a new alphabet, which I think will be fun to learn, and might even be useful someday.
And C – SNOW. After a year of summer, as much fun as it is, I am more than ready for a little chilly weather and finally, I can live in a place where it snows a LOT. Well, I hope so at least.

But the truth is more subtle than all of these things combined. More than anything, after all of the gossip, myths, and legends of what has been, what is, and what will be, I want to find the truth. People tend to have very strong opinions about Russia. I can’t count the number of times someone has asked me, “Why on earth do you want to go there? Of all places!!!” And yet, my curiosity gets the best of me. I am out to discover what was, what is, and what may be considered Russia…to finally put the records straight in my mind.


That's how I stumbled on Russia. Or rather, it stumbled on me. Why not? A new language, a new location, and definitely a different climate? After waiting for a visa, and a lovely Thanksgiving with the family and Agnes, it was time. Time for a new adventure, teaching English in Moscow, Russia. What's the worst that could happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment