Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's trees


As my Christmas winds down to an uneventful end, the festivities are just about to begin. In all honesty, New Year's Eve is a really big deal here. I kept thinking about buying a miniature Christmas tree, but I never bothered, figuring they'd all be gone soon anyways. But they're all still there, all people are going all out. I asked some of my students if they were ready for New Year's, and one of the ladies in my class told me she absolutely had to get....and here she hesitated, "A Christmas tree? No, a New Year's tree." Well, to be honest, I guess it's all the same, just 6 days later.

As much as I tried to decipher this holiday which most of us Americans use as a big excuse for a party with friends, I'm still not sure quite what it's all about in Moscow. Some people spend the time with their family, and have a big dinner with plenty of presents, but it also seems to be true that many people are out with their friends at night too, and the amount of partying already promised seems endless. The Red Square should be crowded, the trees lit, and lot's of merriment. Any excuse for a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment